... a weekly letter of encouragement.
June 7, 1995
How would you like to be able to communicate God's word to others in an eloquent fashion ?
Or have the ability to plumb the depths of the most profound spiritual truths?
Or be able to pray for a person's healing in perfect confidence that God will answer?
What about the courage to sell all your belongings and move to central Africa to reach the most impoverished of peoples?
Or have unflinching commitment to Christ -- even to the point of facing a firing squad?
It all sounds so very noble doesn't it!? BUT WHAT GOD REALLY WANTS FROM US IS:
- To be PATIENT with our wife when she asks us to go shopping with her all Saturday afternoon.
- To be KIND to the scrubby pony-tailed dropout with the bone through his nose.
- To genuinely take PLEASURE in the knowledge that our competitor is knocking them dead at the cash register.
- To DEFLECT ATTENTION AWAY FROM OUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS in deference to others.
- To BE GRACIOUS toward those among us who stand to profit us nothing.
- To PUT ASIDE OUR INTERESTS for the benefit of others
- To FORGIVE those who have ripped us off.
- To LIVE MAGNANIMOUSLY, TRUSTING GOD AMIDST DIFFICULT
CIRCUMSTANCES WHICH WE CANNOT CHANGE.
- To KEEP THE FAITH TO THE END, WHEN EVERYTHING AROUND US SEEMS TO BE CRUMBLING.
This, my friends is the love of Christ, (as expressed in I Corinthians 13), applied in the crucible of life's daily realities. If we fail here, no amount of giftedness or personal sacrifice is of any consequence.
My prayer is that you are having a great week!
© Copyright 1996 Dwight Hill. Unlimited permission to copy or use is hereby granted subject to inclusion of this copyright notice.
Back to Antioch's Well
Back to Antioch's Home Page