... a weekly letter of encouragement.
17 April, 1996
"OUR GREATEST DANGER COMES NOT FROM CULTURAL FORCES WE OPPOSE, BUT FROM THOSE WE EMBRACE."+
Most of us would not embrace such obviously denigrated values as abortion upon demand, unbridled pornography and violence in the media, soft laws on drug use and drug peddling, etc.
But is it possible that we, like the frog slowly boiling to death in the kettle, are unknowingly and perhaps unwittingly being seduced to embrace cultural values that violate Biblical Christianity? For example:
- Our immobility for Christ that indebtedness and contractual entanglements have fostered? (Romans 13:8; II Timothy 2:4; Proverbs 6:1-5)
- Our mediocre and callow approach to carefully analyzing, comprehending and applying the word of God to our lives? (II Peter 3:16b; Ezra 7:10)
- Our insatiable quest for recognition and affirmation? (Matthew 23:5 - 10)
- Our relentless drive for material possessions and financial security? (I Timothy 6:7-10)
- Our abstruse judgmentalism of others? (Matthew 7:1-5)
- Our dalliance with sensuality through literature and the media? (II Timothy 2:22)
- Our resistance to living a life of sacrificial service to others? (John 15:12, 13)
The night before the cross, Jesus prayed thus to the Father on behalf of His disciples: "My prayer is not that You take them out of the world but that You protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by the truth; Your word is truth." (John 17:15 - 17)
Jesus knew that only through the cleansing power of His word would the disciples survive the Enemy's seduction of worldly forces...a bewitchment that is blithely embraced today by much of the Body of Christ.
And it is precisely because of its deadly seduction that the Christian community's compromising embrace of contemporary cultural values is infinitely more lethal than the more obvious sins the world attempts to foist upon us.
I trust you are having a great week!
© Copyright 1996 Dwight Hill. Unlimited permission to copy or use is hereby granted subject to inclusion of this copyright notice.
Back to Antioch's Well
Back to Antioch's Home Page