... a weekly letter of encouragement.
21 August, 1996 - Singapore Good Morning!
HERE ARE SEVEN TRUTHS THAT MAY HELP YOU IN DEFEATING WORRY+:
1. If God gave us the great gift of life, surely He will give us the things necessary to support that life:
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?" (Matthew 6:25)
2. Since there is no worry in the birds' lives, why should there be in yours?
"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" (Matthew 6:26)
3. Worry is useless and changes nothing:
"Which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:27)
4. If God gives such beauty to a short-lived flower, how much more will He care for a person?
"See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?" (Matthew 6:29, 30)
5. Worry is characteristic of the unbeliever, and not of one who knows what God is like. Worry is essentially distrust of God:
"For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them." (Matthew 6:32)
6. Worry can be defeated by concentrating first on the kingdom of God:
"This, then is how you should pray:...'Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.'" (Matthew 6:9a10)
7. Worry can be defeated when we acquire the art of living one day at a time:
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:34)
My prayer is that you are having a great week!
+Adapted from William Barclay's Commentary on Matthew
1 Coleman Street #02-34 The Adelphi - Singapore 0617 . Fax/Phone: 337 6498
© Copyright 1996 Dwight Hill. Unlimited permission to copy or use is hereby granted subject to inclusion of this copyright notice.
Back to Antioch's Well
Back to Antioch's Home Page