... a weekly letter of encouragement.
6 November, 1996 - Singapore
CREATING "MARGIN" IN OUR LIVES+
45% of the space on this sheet of paper is margin. You wouldn't read this "Fax" if the print ran to the edges of the paper because it would offend your sense of proportion. In similar fashion, our lives also need margin. They need proportion.
- "The gap between rest and exhaustion...
- "The leeway we once had between ourselves and our limits...
- "Something held in reserve for contingencies or unanticipated situations..."
If you are running thin on margin these days, my guess is you are on over-load in at least some of the following areas:
- Too many commitments.
- Too much competition.
- Too much debt.
- Too many expectations.
- Too much ministry.
Here are six steps we can take to insure margin is built into our lives:
- Learn to expect the unexpected. Because most everything takes longer than anticipated, LEARN to build margin into your planning.
- Learn to say no. Contrary to your perception, you are not indispensable.
- Cut down on the activities as they have a way of self-perpetuating; of multiplying.
- Practice simplicity and contentment. Choose to live with less.
- Get less done but do the right things. Assess all your activities as to their spiritual authenticity.
- Decide to live the life of Jesus...whatever the cost:
"Let your sweet reasonableness, your forbearance, your being satisfied with less than your due, become known to all men...Stop worrying about even one thing, but in everything...let your requests...be made known in the presence of God, and the peace of God...shall mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:4-6 - Wuest Translation)
My prayer is that you are having a great week!
+Quotes and most of the ideas are drawn from Dr. R. A. Swenson's book "Margin", NavPress.
1 Coleman Street #02-34 The Adelphi - Singapore 0617 .
Phone: 337 9916; Fax: 337 6498
© Copyright 1996 Dwight Hill. Unlimited permission to copy or use is hereby granted subject to inclusion of this copyright notice.
Back to Antioch's Well
Back to Antioch's Home Page