... a weekly letter of encouragement.
18 March 1998 - Singapore
HOW TO KNOW THE WILL OF GOD
Recently I was having breakfast with a businessman who mentioned the fact that he had been offered a very attractive business opportunity which would mean a significant increase in income, but would necessitate a move to a city in another part of the world.
So he asked me, "Dwight, how do I discern the will of God?" Good question!
You may want to ask yourself the following questions as you seek to determine the will of God:
- "Am I putting God's desire ahead of my own?" (Matthew 26:39b)+
- "Will it help me to love God and others more?" (Mark 4:19, 20)
- "How does this action relate to my personal involvement in fulfilling Christ's Great Commission?" (Matthew 28:18 - 20)
- "Will this help me lead a more holy life?" (I Peter 1:14 - 16)
- "Will this course of action increase my personal knowledge of Christ?" (Philippians 3:7,8)
BEFORE WE CAN DISCERN THE "UNKNOWN" WILL OF GOD, WE NEED TO BE SURE WE ARE OBEYING THE "KNOWN" WILL OF GOD. Basically, the "known" will of God is to obey:
- The Great Commandment: "Love God with all your heart...soul and...mind," which always translates into obedience to His word. (Matthew 22:37, 38; John 14:21))
- The Great Commission: "Love your neighbor as yourself," which translates into a life of loving service with a view toward people knowing Christ and growing in that relationship. (Matt.22:39; I John.3:16)
QUESTION: Are you at the present time actively pursuing the "known" will of God? If not, my guess is that perceiving the "unknown" will of God may prove to be a formidable, if not an impossible task.My prayer is that you are having a great week!
1 Coleman Street #02-34, The Adelphi - Singapore 0617
Phone: 337 6498; Fax: 336 9913
© Copyright 1996 Dwight Hill. Unlimited permission to copy or
use is hereby granted subject to inclusion of this copyright notice.
Other topics in 1998
Topics in other years
About Dwight Hill
| Back to Antioch's Well|
Back to Antioch's Home Page