... a weekly letter of encouragement.
15 April, 1998 - Singapore
Good Morning! .
My FRIEND, MY GUESS IS THAT YOU HAVE EVERY REASON TO BE CYNICAL ABOUT LIFE! After all, haven't you been short-changed, not given due respect...exploited, and shunted aside?
Of course you have! But isn't that how most of us have been treated from time-to-time?
Sadly, cynicism brings with it the seeds of spiritual paralysis and ineffectiveness in ministering to others...
After all, who wants to be around a bitter, brittle fud who expends his energy decrying life's injustices?
SO HOW CAN WE AVOID THIS CANCER OF THE SOUL? HERE ARE A FEW SUGGESTIONS:
- Stop grousing over the way it was... Especially if you were right.
- Accept the fact that in time your influence will probably diminish, and you will receive
increasingly fewer accolades.
- Focus on what is right, not on what is wrong.
- Stay active in ministering personally to others. Getting "down and dirty " into people 's lives will help keep you fresh and on your knees, and too busy to bother with pampering yourself in cynicism.
- Affect what you can and should, and then commit the rest to God, keeping in mind that He probably has not yet designated you to be "The Chancellor of the Universe."
- Instead of being a critic of the next generation, be a source of encouragement, and their champion.
- Don 't let unresolved conflicts remain.
Jesus' response to His unjust treatment should serve as our model:
"When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead, He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly." (I Peter 2:23)
In observing older people around us, it is apparent that many have become sullen over their situation in life.
QUESTION: Do you plan to be one of them, or one of those rare, joyful, senior citizens around whom young people love to collect?
GIVEN YOUR PRESENT MIND-SET, INTO WHICH CAMP DO YOU THINK YOU ARE HEADING?
My prayer is that you are having a great week!
1 Coleman Street #02-34, The Adelphi - Singapore 0617
Phone: 337 6498; Fax: 336 9913
© Copyright 1996 Dwight Hill. Unlimited permission to copy or
use is hereby granted subject to inclusion of this copyright notice.
Other topics in 1998
Topics in other years
About Dwight Hill
| Back to Antioch's Well|
Back to Antioch's Home Page