From: Su Min
Subject: Thy Will Be Done
The scripture reading for today is Matt 7:21-23.
Lip service alone is not good enough. It must be accompanied by a change of heart, a spiritual conversion, and a submission of our own will to the will of the Divine.. This is the essence of what Jesus calls for when he preaches, "Repent, for the kingdom of God is near (Matt 4:17)"
- Jesus has warned that if we are salt that has lost its flavour we will be thrown out and trampled underfoot (Matt 5:13)
- Jesus has warned that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of God (Matt 5:20).
- Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly father is perfect. (Matt 5:48)
- If you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you (Matt 6:14)
- Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal (Matt 6:20)
- Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness (Matt 6:33)
- Jesus has warned that the trees that bear good fruit will be separated from the trees that bear bad fruit (Matt 7:19-20).
- Jesus has warned that the sheep will be separated from the goats (Matt 25:33)
- Jesus now says, "Not every one who says to me 'Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven (Matt 7:21).
"Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out devils and perform many miracles (Matt 7:22)?"
The performance of spectacular stunts and marvellous miracles does not authenticate a true prophet: Deut 13:1-5: it is the Lord your God you must follow, and Him you must revere.
The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders, and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing (2 Thess 2:9-10).
"Then I will tell them plainly, "I never knew you. Away from me, you evil doers!"
Only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven (Matt 7:21)...
Earlier when Jesus teaching his disciples to pray, he prays "your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven"
In heaven, God's perfect will reigns supreme. Here on earth, many chose to ignore God's perfect plan, but instead impose their own stubborn will.
Jesus himself ever sought to do his Father's will. "I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me (John 5:30)."
- The psalmist writes in Psalm 40:8 To do your will, O my God, is my desire; your law is within my heart.
- His very aim is to do God's will, and he declares that he has internalised God's law, hidden it within his heart, by not only memorising it but understanding it.. Good suggestion for us.
- Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground (Ps 143:10).
- David calls on God to teach him what the Divine will is, and calls on the Holy Spirit to lead him. Good suggestion for us, eh?
- Doing God's will unites us into one holy family. Jesus says "Whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother (Matt 12:50)."
We should desire to do God's will. We should put his law in our heart. We should call on God to teach us his will. We should call on the Holy Spirit to lead us.
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good , pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:2).
Let us pray
May the God of peace,
who through the blood of the eternal covenant
brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
that great shepherd of the sheep,
equip you with everything good for doing his will,
and may he work in us
what is pleasing to him,
through Jesus Christ,
to whom be glory forever and ever,
Amen. (Heb 13:20-21)
For any comments or enquiries please write to Dr. Lim Su Min
Back to Antioch's Well
Back to Antioch's Home Page