From: Su Min
Subject: Growing Older
Wednesday 13th November 1997
Dearly Beloved, our sister Nancy shared these thoughts upon her recent 20 somethingth birthday... I was touched and asked her to let us share this text:
THOUGHT ON GROWING OLDERAs I grow older, I sometimes ponder questions of age and time. Recently I decided to explore my Bible and concordance using key words such as old, age, aged, long and length. As I read and study, it strikes me that one is never too old to be very much involved in life. One is never too old to hear the word of the Lord and have meaningful work to do for Him in this world.
When Adam was 130 years old, he had a
son who was like him, and he named him Seth.
After that, Adam lived another 800 years. He
had other children and died at the age of 930.
Noah was six hundred years old when the
flood came on the earth.
After the flood Noah lived 350 years
and died at the age of 950.
The Lord said to Abram, "Leave your
native land, your relatives, and your father's
home, and go to a country that I am going to show you." . . .
When Abram was seventy-five years old,
he started out from Haran, as the Lord had told
him to do... Genesis_12:1,4_GN
Aaron and Moses were the ones to whom
the Lord said, "Lead the tribes of Israel out
of Egypt." They were the men who told the king
of Egypt to free the Israelites...
At the time when they spoke to the king,
Moses was eighty years old, and Aaron was
I offer two versions of Proverbs_20:29_and am intrigued by the shades of meaning in each translation. We admire the strength of youth and respect the grey hair of age. Pr.20:29 Good News The glory of young men is their strength, but the beauty of old men is their grey hair.
CONCEPT OF TIMEI am reminded that my concept of time and God's time are different. If I desire "long life, “ the Bible instructs me to honour my father and mother(Exodus_20:12), go to the Lord for safety and salvation(Psalms_91:1,16), and take instruction and correction from the Lord that I may become wise(Proverbs_3:11-18).
The Lord says, "I am making a new earth and new heavens. The events of the past will be completely forgotten. Be glad and rejoice forever in what I create ...all people will live out their life span. Those who live to be a hundred will be considered young ... Like trees, my people will live long lives. They will fully enjoy the things that they have worked for. Isaiah_65:17,18,30,33_GN
How old is an old (wo)man?
How long is a long time?
How long is a time to live?
I began my study with questions. I end with questions. I close with a favourite poem by Rainer Maria Rilke
Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart Try to love the questions themselves...
Do not now seek the answers which cannot be given because you would not be able to live them.
And the point is, to live everything.
Live the questions now.
Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it,
Live along some distant day into the answers.
Sister Ade sent this set of text that is great medicine:
Su min ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
Why Should I...
- Why should I say I can't when the Bible says I can do all things through Christ who gives me Strength (Philippians_4:13)?
- Why should I lack anything when I know that God shall supply all my needs according to His riches and glory in Christ Jesus (Philippians_4:19)?
- Why should I fear when the Bible says God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind (2_Timothy_1:7)?
- Why should I lack faith to fulfil my calling knowing that God has allotted to me a measure of faith (Romans_12:3)?
- Why should I be weak when the Bible says that the Lord is the strength of my life and that I will display strength and take action because I know God (Psalms_27:1,_Dan11:32)?
- Why should I allow Satan's supremacy over my life when He that is in me is greater then he that is in the world (1_John_4:4)?
- Why should I lack wisdom when Christ became wisdom to me from God and God gives wisdom to me generously when I ask Him for it (1_Corinthians_1:30,_James_1:5)?
- Why should I accept defeat when the Bible says that God always lead me in triumph (2_Corinthians_2:14)?
- Why should I be depressed when I can recall to mind God's loving-kindness, compassion, and faithfulness and have hope (Lamentations_3:21-23)?
- Why should I worry and fret when I can cast all my anxiety on Christ who cares for me (1_Peter_5:7)?
- Why should I ever be in bondage knowing that there is liberty where the Spirit of the Lord is (Galatians_5:1)
- Why should I feel condemned when the Bible says I am not condemned because I am in Christ (Romans_8:1)?
- Why should I feel alone when Jesus said He is with me always and He will never leave me nor forsake me (Matthew_28:20,_Hebrews_13:5)?
- Why should I feel accursed or that I am the victim of bad luck when the Bible says that Christ redeemed me from the curse of the law that I might receive the Holy Spirit (Galatians_3:13,14)?
- Why should I be discontented when I, like Paul can learn to be content in all my circumstances (Philippians_4:11)?
- Why should I feel worthless when Christ became sin on my behalf that I might become the righteousness of god in Him (2_Corinthians_5:21)?
- Why should I have a persecution complex knowing that nobody can be against me when God is for me (Romans_8:31)?
- Why should I be confused when God is the author of peace and he gives me knowledge through His in dwelling Spirit (1_Corinthians_14:33,_2:12)?
- Why should I feel like a failure when I am a conqueror in all things through Christ (Romans_8:37)?
- Why should I let the pressures of life bother me when I can take courage knowing that Jesus has overcome the world and its tribulations (John_16:33)?
For any comments or enquiries please write to Dr. Lim Su Min
Back to Antioch's Well
Back to Antioch's Home Page